Secretariat

A Young Intern and a Small-Time Buyer Become Part of History

In horse racing, you never know who you are going to encounter and what effect they will have on your life. What may seem like a brief insignificant moment during the course of one’s life can prove to be far more meaningful years later. Amy Walters and Tommy Wente learned that when they least expected it. Here is their story and how it led to the family history of one special racehorse. ~ Steve Haskin

A Young Intern and a Small-Time Buyer Become Part of History

By Steve Haskin

Gold Strike photo courtesy of Tracey Caudill, Watershed Farm

One of the most fascinating aspects of Thoroughbred racing is the unexpected, and that does not apply only on the racetrack. Sometimes names and faces long forgotten appear years later in the most unexpected places.

Amy Walters was majoring in Horse Production at the Ohio State Agricultural Technical Institute from March to May of 1983 when she did her internship at Glade Valley Farms near Frederick, Maryland. Once one of the country’s great breeding establishments, where the nation’s leading sire Challenger II stood and where his son, two-time Horse of the Year of 1939 and ’40 Challedon was born, Glade Valley finally shut down after nearly 100 years following the death of its most current owner Howard M. Bender. The farm’s original co-owner William Brann also owned the legendary filly Gallorette as part of a foal sharing agreement with Preston Burch.

Walters’ job was mainly to assist in caring for Glade Valley’s client mares and foals — mucking stalls, feeding, holding mares and foals for vet work, and taking mares to the breeding shed.

“I was glad to work in that barn, rather than with the farm mares, because of the greater variety of foals sired by outside stallions,” Walters said. “They were mostly boarders for the breeding season, but we also dealt with the wet and dry mares that shipped in to be bred and shipped right out within an hour.”

Walters’ favorite task was working with that year’s barren mares. Two she remembered the most were half-sisters Apple Pan Dowdy, who was 16, and the 15-year-old La Belle Alliance, both of who whom were booked to the farm’s stallion Rollicking. Amy became fond of both mares because of how attached they were to each other.

“All the barren mares stayed in this one pasture 24 hours a day, every day,” she recalled. “When either Apple Pan Dowdy or La Belle Alliance was taken out of the field and led up to the breeding shed for instance, she’d only be gone for about 15 minutes, but even so their reunion would always be like something out of a movie. The mare left behind would  be grazing with the rest of the mares in this huge field. As soon as she’d spot her half-sister being led back up the lane from the breeding shed, she’d come racing over to the gate, whinnying her lungs out, then the two would gallop off together to rejoin the group, bucking and whinnying as if they’d never been so happy. It was even more impressive because they weren’t young mares. These cute reunion scenes played out every single time one of these two was taken out of the field and was always very touching.”

Apple Pan Dowdy was a daughter of Bold Commander, out of the Cosmic Bomb mare Apple Bomb, and had been unplaced in all her three lifetime starts. From 1974 to 1982 she had produced only three foals to race, with none of them earning more than $62,000. Barren in 1983, she was sent to Glade Valley to be bred to one of the top Maryland stallions Rollicking.

Apple Pan Dowdy’s Rollicking foal the following year would win seven of her 49 starts, but of her only two subsequent foals, one earned only $5,578 and the other was unplaced in her only start.

Apple Pan Dowdy had accomplished little as a racehorse or a broodmare, so it was highly unlikely that Walters or anyone else could envision that she one day would become the great-great granddam of a Kentucky Derby winner.

Five years before being sent to Glade Valley, Apple Pan Dowdy produced a Search for Gold filly named Panning for Gold, who won six of her 20 starts, earning $62,179. No one thought much of Search For Gold, whose biggest earner at the time was Reef Searcher, a $7,000 yearling purchase who won 12 of his 32 starts for earnings of $357,720. A year after Search For Gold was born, his dam Gold Digger produced his full-brother by Raise A Native, later to be named Mr. Prospector.

Panning For Gold, bred in Pennsylvania by Mrs. Charles B. Lyman, won six of her 20 starts, including something called the Tattler Handicap at Greenwood Racetrack in Canada. She showed her versatility by winning from five furlongs to 1 3/16 miles.

Bred to Dixieland Brass, Panning for Gold produced a filly named Brassy Gold, who never made it to the races. All she showed were several workouts at Hastings Park in Vancouver, British Columbia.

This family line sure didn’t show any indication it was headed for Churchill Downs on the first Saturday in May.

Brassy Gold would produce only three foals. The first in 2001 was a son by the unknown stallion Ares Vallis named Copper Kid, who ran 23 times, all claiming races, and closed his career in a $3,000 claiming race at Assiniboia Downs. Her third foal in 2003 was a colt named Kestrel, who was by another unknown stallion named Shrike. Kestrel ran four times, all claiming races, winning once and finishing out of the money in his other three starts, closing out his career getting beat 36 lengths in a $10,000 claiming race at Delaware Park.

But her second foal, by the 10-year-old stallion Smart Strike, a son of Search for Gold’s full brother Mr. Prospector, was a filly named Gold Strike, who won four of her nine starts, including the Woodbine Oaks, and was voted champion 3-year-old filly in Canada.

However, after having some success at stud with her son Llanarmon, who won two stakes in Canada, Gold Strike’s 2015 and 2016 foals never made it to the races; her 2017 foal, My Blonde Mary by Calumet stallion Oxbow, ran 29 times, all claiming races, and was claimed in her final start for $5,000 at Tampa Bay Downs; and she was barren in 2018.

In 2019, she produced a colt by another Calumet Farm stallion Keen Ice. Later that year, following three dismal years as a broodmare, Calumet, who had bought Gold Strike in 2015 for $230,000, sold her at the Keeneland November Mixed Sale for a paltry $1,700. As if that weren’t bad enough, they wound up putting her Keen Ice colt, now named Rich Strike, in a $30,000 claiming race following a dismal career debut on the grass and lost him to trainer Eric Reed and owner Rick Dawson.

Do you think Tommy Wente, who bought Gold Strike for $1,700, could have imagined her weanling that year was going to win the Kentucky Derby, and at odds of 80-1?

“It’s crazy, isn’t it; you can’t make this stuff up,” Wente said. “I’m a cheap buyer. My clients and I can’t afford the big prices. I loved this mare, even though I knew she had problems getting in foal since producing her Keen Ice colt. And I knew Calumet Farm wanted to get rid of her as they often do with older mares. I just thought I would take a shot. I bought her for M.C. Roberts, who has a farm in Indiana. He took great care of her, but he couldn’t get her in foal. Finally, he called me and said, ‘I’m done. I’m at my wit’s end.’ I suggested he send her to a specialist to try find out why she couldn’t get in foal, but he kept insisting he was done, so he gave her away to Austin Nicks, who has a farm in Sellersburg, Indiana. A week after he gave her away her son won the Kentucky Derby. I’m telling you, you can’t make this stuff up. What this solidified for me is that no matter how little you spend in this game you have a shot.”

If you don’t feel divine forces were guiding Rich Strike, Wente pointed out that he was stabled in Barn 21, he had post position 21, and he was No. 21 on the earnings list. Now, that’s what you call three straight blackjack hands.

So from a family inundated with cheap claimers over the years, a number of runners from small Canadian tracks, and a mare who was given away a week before her son won the Derby has come one of the great stories of the year and one of the most shocking winners ever of the Kentucky Derby.

For Amy Walters, who had fallen in love with a 16-year-old mare named Apple Pan Dowdy and her sister as a young intern 40 years earlier at Glade Valley Farms and who went on to breed and show Quarter-Horses for 10 years before getting out of the business in 1993 when it became too expensive, she could only recall those days and express her feelings about seeing Apple Pan Dowdy’s great-great grandson win the Kentucky Derby.

“I was watching on TV alone and was in utter shock at the result,” she said. “When Larry Collmus yelled out Rich Strike’s name I recognized instantly he was the colt who had just made it into the field the morning before. I screamed out loud, ‘What the hell?’ Then my cousin texted me and all he said was, ‘Wow, wow, wow!’ Hours after the race I looked up Rich Strike’s pedigree on Pedigeequery.com and I gasped when I saw Apple Pan Dowdy’s name. I was so delighted that a Kentucky Derby winner descends from a mare I worked with so long ago.”

Yes, in racing you never know when you are going to be confronted with something seemingly mundane that eventually will become a part of history. Sometimes it has to weave its way through a morass of  small tracks and cheap claiming races before reaching its place in the history books. This sport is a never ending chain of events, some minor and some major, and you never know where it will lead. Amy Walters and Tommy Wente can now say that for a brief period of time they in their own way had a small piece of history pass through their hands. For Walters, four decades would pass until it came to light on the first Saturday in May.

Our next column will be a Preakness analysis to be posted next Wednesday. Yes, even without the Derby winner.

Newsletter

Signup for the Secretariat.com newsletter For new announcements, merchandise updates and other excitement here at Secretariat.com, please enter your email address in the popup window. Our mailing list is never sold or viewed by anyone other than Secretariat.com

86 Responses to “A Young Intern and a Small-Time Buyer Become Part of History”

1. Since Lil E. Tee says:

Wow, Secret Oath and Creative Minister are looking really skinny. Lots of ribs showing on both. Wheeling back in two weeks + McRibs = no thanks.

I think Simplification, ran a better derby than Epicenter.
    * Hindered by sensory issues (something Kerry Thomas said he’d have trouble with in the derby and was apparent in the race, his head turning left/right throughout).
    * Wiiiiiide on the far turn.
    * Extended brakes turning towards home due to traffic, then rallied strong in the stretch.

So I think this race comes down to Simplification and Early Voting. Calls for a big exacta box for sure. Not sure yet who I like more on top. Always love a big jock upgrade, shows connections think they have a serious chance with Simplification, so another point on his side. But let’s see how Early Voting is looking the next three days.

• Ms Blacktype says:

I have a feeling Simplification could be sitting on a great race. Want to see how he looks first, tho.

• Since Lil E. Tee says:

YouTube has videos of him each morning this week. Search “Simplification 5”

I think he looks fantastic. Very powerful gallops with the rider as tight as can be on the reigns.

2. Mike Relva says:

Perhaps SO’s owner will law down law on Lukas.

3. TommyMc says:

Armagnac is an interesting Preakness entry. He’ll be running back in The Preakness in only 13 days since his Optional-Claimer win at Santa Anita on May 8th. The day after The Derby. He went off at 72-1 in The Santa Anita Derby when Happy Jack beat him “a neck” for 3rd. I’ve watched him run a couple of times and came away very unimpressed. So, I’m curious as to why the connections thought that The Preakness was a good spot for their horse. I just watched a replay of his last race where DVD put him on the lead and he “wired” a very mediocre field IMO. But, he took off the blinkers for that race. Maybe that did the trick. Like all BB horses, he’s a beauty. He’s a May foal. So, maybe he’s coming around now. Still, I don’t give him much of a chance other than possibly giving Early Voting trouble on the lead. But, is he that fast? And look who’s riding. Is his jockey going to mess up his younger brother’s chance at a Triple Crown race? Or, even worse, get Chad Brown and Klaravich Stables mad at him? Especially, now that competition for their horses has gotten fierce with Flavien Prat in the picture.

• TommyMc says:

Armagnac’s entry must be a Tim Yakteen or an owner decision. I doubt that BB would ever run this horse in The Preakness. Not back in 13 days either. BB might run him on the undercard though.

• TommyMc says:

Speaking of Armagnac being a May foal, let’s re-visit the “horse birthday handicapping factor” that I posted about a couple of weeks ago. I poached that “handicapping factor” from Keelerman over at Bloodhorse. Anyway, the “birthday factor” clearly showed that Epicenter was an unlikely winner of The Derby as a January foal. The theory being that January foals would be precocious as 2-year-olds and in early season prep races, but would be vulnerable by May when February-May foals caught up to them. I think Rich Strike is an April foal. Epicenter at 6-5 looks pretty good for The Preakness. But, wouldn’t the “birthday factor” be even stronger for the May 21st Preakness? Are there any rapidly improving horses in this year’s field? HELLO, Early Voting and Creative Minister.
      Note: In the last 41 years, Grindstone is the only January foal to win The Derby. And don’t forget that he only won by “a whisker”.

• TommyMc says:

I’d like Creative Minister better if he didn’t also last race of Derby Day. But, there’s no denying that he is improving very quickly.
        Two-thirds of The Preakness field is coming back in 15 days or fewer. 15 for Secret Oath. 13 for Armagnac. 14 days for Simplification, Creative Minister, Happy Jack, and Epicenter. How about a Fenwick/Early Voting/Skippylongstocking Exacta Box? All 3 horses have been rested for 6 weeks. Fenwick at 50-1????? Nevermind.

4. Since Lil E. Tee says:

So for the Preakness I’m only looking at Epi, Simp, Secret, Early, Creative.

* Epi & Simp – I’m eliminating both for the win because they had the perfect setup and just came home too slow, in what should have been peak races for them.

* Secret – She ran the best last race of them all. I’m just worried she may have emptied the tank in the Oaks.

* Early – Obvious rested, improving angle. Everyone knows Chad went this route with Cloud Computing. I now think he’s going to get pounded at the windows. Probably 2-1 or 5-2.

* Creative – Ran a solid last race. I liked how effortless he looked getting stronger at the wire. And he was never whipped.

I think Creative Minister is the play here at 10-1 ml. Has a chance to win and is strong to finish top two.
    Classic 100 win, 100 place bet.

• EddieF says:

Disagree about a “perfect setup” for Epicenter and Simplification. I think Rosario may have moved too soon. As it was, it was an excellent effort with that crazy early pace. Simplification had a simply bad trip. Slow start, behind horses with nowhere to go, wide and wider. No value on Epi, or even Early Voting or Secret Oath. Creative Minister is a late-developing future star. But has a horse ever won the Preakness without having been in a stakes race? I’ll probably bet Simplification WPS if he goes off at least at his morning line.

• Nelson Maan says:

I second your overall assessment.

In my eyes Simplification showed great versatility in the Derby by overcoming the contretemps you mentioned. I foresee the son of Not This Time fighting hard for the win this Saturday at Pimlico. John Velazquez could win his first Preakness with a HOF rail trip specially if Epicenter, Armagnac and Early Voting engage in a backbreaking duel.

I am planning on keying Simplification in a Super… the quota of humongous longshots seems to be already met by now…

• Since Lil E. Tee says:

Eddie, he came well off the pace in a race where they went blazing early and slow late. And he was pretty much on the rail the whole way. In my opinion that’s a perfect setup.

• EddieF says:

Hi, Lil E Tee. Are you referring to Epi? Just in terms of his trip, I would agree that he had a good one. But I wouldn’t say he was “pretty much on the rail the whole way.” Without watching the replay again, I’d say he was in the 3-path most of the way around. And he was only 5 lengths behind the leader after a half mile. Epi’s early fractions would have put him on the lead in most Derbies.

5. Since Lil E. Tee says:

Secret Oath has run 8 straight races without a rest of more than 5 weeks. As is now coming into the Preakness off 2 weeks rest. #PushingIt

6. Liam says:

From the NWS for the forecast on Friday/Saturday in the Baltimore area – Hot and Humid with temp in the 90’s. Even warmer come Saturday with severe thunderstorms possible.

7. Matthew W says:

Epicenter ran huge on the Derby…
    Epicenter deserves top billing…..
    Epicenter MUST engage Early VOTING, and EARLY…..
    I’m looking for a couple if closers, one is the filly. …other I haven
    ‘t landed on yet…

8. Since Lil E. Tee says:

I’ll eat my shorts if Epicenter wins the Preakness lol.

9. Kenny says:

Another great story. Thank you Steve.

10. TommyMc says:

One last thing. They draw for The Preakness on Monday afternoon sometime.

11. Matthew W says:

F I r Stat lovers—five Derby winners in the 1950’s did not run in the Preakness, most notably Swaps, with his bad feet was on the train home morning after the Derby!..

12. Matthew W says:

Epicenter will be around even money for the Preakness…. We The People won by 10 1/4, 103 Beyer…. Belmont is known for huge winning margins, as was the old 9 furlong Hollywood Park dirt course …..

• Davids says:

If Prat can get We the People in that rhythm on the lead, or alongside, the Belmont Stakes will be over in a flash.

• Matthew W says:

When a track surface gets rolled down DURING THE RACES….they roll the inside FIRST, making it a faster surface, Prat broke running and steered over and RACE OVER!…Good horse but things did play out his way….

• Davids says:

Yes, true. No to forget We the People got a little rattled prior to race and Belmont Stakes day will be unsettling for the horse. I’m so looking forward to Flightline’s return in the Met Mile, a ‘Frosted’ procession would not surprise. Should be a fantastic day, just wish I could be there.

• Matthew K W says:

I was lucky to get to see Flightline–I watched them saddling him up close–and was above Clockers Corner, at head of stretch–when Prat let him go and in three or four strides he bounded away from Baby Yoda and Stiletto Boy—13 lengths no whip—if he’s right I think we are in for a special treat–Speakers Corner, Life Is Good–whomever—Flightline makes good horses look like also-rans..

13. TommyMc says:

14-race cards at Pimlico on both Friday and Saturday. First post on Friday is 11:30am EST and features The Black Eyed Susan which will go as race #13. Saturday kicks off at 10:30am and ends with an Arabian race as race #14 at 7:43pm. That’s a
    9 1/4 hour day of racing. The Preakness is race #13 at 7:01pm. Saturday TV coverage: CNBC 2pm- 4pm & NBC 4pm- 7:30pm EST. Apparently, NBC has no interest in covering the Arabian race. TVG will have a big presence in Baltimore. I’m unsure of which races they will be allowed to show. Hopefully, all.

• TommyMc says:

As always, there will be a 2-day Daily Double from The Black Eyed Susan on Friday to Saturday’s Preakness. I’m a real sucker for these 2-day bets even though I rarely hit them.

• TommyMc says:

That Black Eyed Susan could include BB’s/Tim Yakteen’s Adare Manor. I was really high on her before her loss to Desert Dawn in The Santa Anita Oaks. But, then Desert Dawn ran into the Kentucky Oaks trifecta touching off a $300+ payoff for 50-cents. Maybe Adare Manor needed that race in The Santa Anita Oaks after 2 months off. Her last 4 workouts look like serious BB workouts on paper. My only concern is that the BB horses that Tim Yakteen sent to Churchill didn’t do very well. On the other hand, I really didn’t expect them to win. I feel like Messier and especially Doppelganger were very overrated. I was right about Doppelganger. I may be wrong about Messier. Messier made a move into that crazy suicidal pace of The Derby. I think he may be a decent horse, but I still don’t know for sure.

• Matthew K W says:

Equibase entries has Sean McCarthy as Adare’s trainer..

• Matthew W says:

I do like Beguine, and I expect her 12-1 price to drop by half! Ex boxing with Adare but—don’t like the barn changes on top of a big race! Talent wise she’s all that!

• Matthew W says:

Even if they cannot show races LIVE…the replays come up fairly quick..

• TommyMc says:

It’s a little weird IMO that the Arabian race will be involved in the last Daily Double and final Pick-3 of the day on Saturday which both will include The Preakness.

14. TommyMc says:

We the People beat the Peter Pan field pretty easily today and we can probably expect to see him in The Belmont on June 11th. I don’t think that he even went off favored. Strangely, a Richard Mandella horse from California took a lot of betting action and finished up the track.

15. Davids says:

Steve, what a gem to read on a Sunday morning here in Melbourne. It’s grey and gloomy here but your story was so full of joy that you can’t help but smile and get a little emotional. Sometimes, in another stratosphere, an Aga Khan horse will take a Classic race whose family has been silent for generations and you wonder, how?. Geneticists will tell you one thing but the Romanticism in racing often proves the ‘answer’ that in winning a major race is founded decades ago, just waiting to be reborn. Beautiful, just beautiful to read.

I just watched We the People trounce the field in the Peter Pan Stakes, what great work by Rodolphe Brisset and Flavien Prat. The talent is certainly there, Belmont Stakes bound for sure.

• Lynda King says:

The spirits from the past will rise to claim the future. Wounded Knee.
      “Romanticism in racing often proves the ‘answer’ that in winning a major race is founded decades ago, just waiting to be reborn.”
      Beautiful, Davids!!

• Davids says:

Thank you, Lynda. Interesting that you mention Wounded Knee, the massacre used to haunt me as a child. Trying to understand the sheer savagery within the human mind and why.

Did you watch the interview with Rodolphe Brisset after Win the People’s commanding performance in the Peter Pan Stakes?

• Davids says:

We the People, that is. I should monitor autocorrect better. Ha ha

• Lynda King says:

Davids, I apologize. Was not my intention to bring up bad memories for you or anyone referencing the quote that I did.
          It just came to mind when I read your comment about the Aga Kahn. In hindsight I should not have used it.

Did not watch any horse racing etc on Saturday but did see that We The People won yesterday. Did read the article on BH about his win.

As a stallion, I think Constitution is well on his way to becoming a top sire. As Tapit, Medaglia D’Oro, Tiznow (now pensioned), Candy Ride, Malibu Moon (deceased) and others are starting to age out or nearing the end of their stallion careers the industry and the sport will be looking toward these younger sires to help fill that void. Since Constitution’s progeny have been doing quite well on the track I think he will be one of those “replacement” sires.

• Davids says:

All is fine, Lynda. Did you watch the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches and the Poule d’Essai des Poulains? Neither race, nor the English Guineas’ races, have inspired me or appeared outstanding so let’s hope the Derby have more of an impact.

As for Constitution, his first foals looked racy, long legged types with high intelligence while being successful early on. It appears at this stage anyway that the sky’s the limit.

• Lynda King says:

Hello Davids.
              I watched the replays of the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches and the Poule d’Essai des Poulains.
              Mangoustine barely hung on for that win. Not up to speed on the times on turf but it appeared to me that the race was slow??
              Something else that somewhat surprised me was how deeply inbred both winners are to Gold Digger as is Rich Strike.

The horse that everyone here (in the groups I belong to) is talking about is the white filly Sodashi who won the Victoria Mile. She got a standing ovation as she streaked towards the finish line. The Japanese do love their horses passionately!

• Davids says:

Sodashi, the 2 & 3 year old champion filly, has been a fan favorite in Japan since day one through her unique color and obvious talent. It will be extremely exciting if the connections take up the offer to run Sodashi in her automatic berths in the G1 Prix du Moulin de Longchamp as well as the G1 Prix Jacques le Marois. The Japanese often take aim at the prestigious French races.

• Steve haskin says:

Thanks so much David.

• Davids says:

Steve, what a story it would be if DWL can pull off an upset in the Preakness Stakes with his star filly, Secret Oath. Are the racing gods still in sentimental mode? I hope so, not a dry eye in the house if she can do it.

16. Matthew W says:

A lot more talking about the Kentucky Derby, this year on the sports talk shows….and it’s good talk.

17. Matthew W says:

I heard the Thorograph guy this AM say Rick Stroke had never run better than a “9”….on Derby day got a “1”……he thinks he is a good horse….

18. EddieF says:

A truly fantastic story, told by an extraordinary story teller. Leave it to Steve (and nobody else as far as I know) to elicit the beautiful remembrance of the sibling mares in the field. Fairy tales can come true…

19. Dawn Miller says:

That should be ‘reminds us’ – clearly getting teary is affecting my key boarding.

20. Dawn Miller says:

Thank you so much for yet another beautifully written story (Lynda was not the only one who was getting teary reading this article) which reminds of that when it comes to thoroughbreds magic can and does also come from the most humble and/or unlikely sources. Gold Strike was a favourite of mine when she raced at Woodbine (fyi She also ran 3rd in the Queen’s Plate which is akin to a filly running 3rd in the Kentucky Derby) and it is very special to get the backstory on her family, especially from such an eloquent story teller.

21. Tetrarch says:

Apple Pan Dowdy makes this wonderful story even sweeter! Thank you for sharing it with us!

22. Thanks Steve, I had seen an article after the Derby where it was mentioned Gold Strike had sold for $1700 and was rather worried about her since none of my searches brought her up. Someone on one of the horse boards I frequent posted the above picture and her whereabouts at that time, but no mention of he being given away.

I hope if her new connections also give up on her, she finds a soft landing

23. Lynda King says:

Oh the tears while reading this.
    Indeed “This sport is a never ending chain of events, some minor and some major, and you never know where it will lead”.

Thank you Steve for telling us the backstory on Gold Strike.

24. Ms Blacktype says:

What you can’t make up is that Steve Haskin finds this stuff out! Another lovely piece, Steve. You really brought the dry statistics of Rich Strike’s immediate family into full life. Love the story about the half sisters acting out their affection for one other.

• Steve Haskin says:

Thank you!

• TommyMc says:

Steve Haskin definitely has a nose for a great story. No one could have ever figured Apple Pan Dowdy to show up in the pedigree of The Derby winner of 2022.

• Ms Blacktype says:

Gotta love that name, tho.

• Lynda King says:

Apple pandowdy goes back to Colonial times.
          Abigail Adams, when she was Second Lady”, prepared the dish quite often.
          It is a German food that was brought to the Colonies by German immigrants.

I can remember eating apple pandowdy when I was growing up (my Dad’s mother was German Lutheran).

I too love that name. I have seen her in other pedigrees (not many), just cannot recall where.

• Steve Haskin says:

Wow I didnt know that. Fascinating stuff. Thanks

• Paula Higgins says:

Linda, Abigail’s Apple Pan Dowdy recipe is on the the
            National Park Service site. Google it.

• Lynda King says:

There was a song written in the forties and sang by Dinah Shore.
            LOL,I never knew there was a song too!
            These are the lyrics:

If you wanna do right by your appetite,
            If you’re fussy about your food,
            Take a choo-choo today, head New England way,
            And we’ll put you in the happiest mood. with:

Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
            Makes your eyes light up,
            Your tummy say “Howdy.”
            Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy

I never get enough of that wonderful stuff.
            Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan dowdy makes the sun come out
            When Heavens are cloudy,
            Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy,

I never get enough of that wonderful stuff!
            Mama! When you bake,
            Mama! I don’t want cake;
            Mama! For my sake

Go to the oven and make some ever lovin’ Sh,
            Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
            Makes your eyes light up,
            Your tummy say “Howdy,”

Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
            I never get enough of that wonderful stuff!